Nihongo is a Japanese-English dictionary and study tool, designed to make the best use of the time you dedicate to studying Japanese.
Our dictionary is made to find what you're looking for fast, with the words Japanese speakers actually use at the top of every search result. If you're trying to read something longer, paste it into a Clipping, and we'll turn every word into a link to its definition, and even add furigana.
Studying from a "core" list of vocabulary words can be difficult, because you lack any context for the words you're studying. Instead, Nihongo generates vocabulary lists from the words you look up in the dictionary, and the texts you're reading via Clippings. Context is the key to remembering vocabulary, and with Nihongo, every word you study has context.
* Search for words, kanji, and example sentences all in one place.
* Automatic search conjugation allows you to search for 食べさせられました and find 食べる.
* Our smart search algorithms help you find the word you're looking for faster.
* Over 170,000 words, 165,000 example sentences, and 6000 kanji entries.
* Every word is marked as common, uncommon, or rare, so you can focus on the words Japanese speakers actually use.
* Kanji entries give quick access to the words associated with common readings.
* Tired of looking up words one-by-one? Paste in Japanese text, and we'll turn every word into a link to its definition, and add furigana.
* All clippings are saved, so you can come back and finish reading later if you need to.
* Nihongo automatically generates flashcard decks from your clippings and your dictionary history, so you can focus on studying the words you're actually using.
* Our unique learning system is easier to use than other spaced repetition systems. We don't penalize you for missing a day, so you can stop and start whenever's convenient for you.
* Every word in Nihongo has a level, and the more you study the more you level up. Just pretend you're grinding towards that relic weapon.
* Kanji flashcards include a drawing area, so you can test your ability to write kanji. We prompt you to fill in the missing kanji from words you already know, so you always have context for what you're studying.
PROFESSIONALS AND ADVANCED LEARNERS
* Nihongo is great for professional translators and advanced learners. Nihongo learns what words you know, and lets you focus on the words you don't.
* Create a Clipping from a long piece of text, like a chapter of a book, and with Nihongo you can study just the words from the text you don't already know.
* Rather than studying every word you don't know, sometimes you want to study just the words that show up a lot. With Nihongo, you can create decks that only include the frequently used words in a piece of text.
Nihongo is built on data from JMDict (www.edrdg.org), Tatoeba (tatoeba.org), and KanjiVG (kanjivg.tagaini.net). I encourage you to contribute to these great open source projects that make apps like Nihongo possible.
Fixed an issue where Japanese text could be misaligned.
This is the final version that will support iOS 8 (for real this time).